Sunday, September 24, 2006

Millinery: A new fall hat and chocolate

Fashion etiquette advises that felt hats be worn in Fall and Winter, and straw hats be worn in Spring and Summer.

This is highly practical: Felt keeps you warm, straw lets breezes in to keep you cool.

But when you live in an area where it is 90+ degrees seven months a year, practicality trumps etiquette.

That is to say, even though Fall is here, I can still sorely need a straw hat.

Yesterday I was to attend an evening wedding, beginning at 5, and with temperatures predicted in the 90's (feeling like 102 degrees with the humidity.)

I wanted to wear a hat, and I wanted to wear brown, as the color scheme of the wedding was to be chocolate. Yummy!

I had created this hat a few months back, with just the veiling and organdy and pearl rosettes. It was simply blah. I never wore it.

By quickly adding brown wooden beads, two pheasant feathers and a turkey feather (from a wild turkey called and shot by Dad, of course, who else?) I quickly created a cool yet autumnal chapeaux.

(Note: The turkey was delicious by the way, wild turkey tastes far better that store-bought Butterballs.)

Off I went to the wedding, wearing both hat and gloves, only to find I was the only one at the wedding in either a hat or gloves. I would be deceitful if I said I was surprise by that.

Oh well.

Thankfully the wedding was moved inside, and the ceremony was preformed under blessed air-conditioning.

The reception was the best one I had ever attended. Such joy and dancing, great food, and fine celebration.

A delight to see Mr. C. M. Y. and Miss D. J. J. become Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Y.

Mazel Tov!
PS: And while the wedding colors were chocolate and peach, I personally am swearing off chocolate except as a visual color treat. Oh that picture. The diet begins....

PSS: I love how chocolate bridesmaids gowns look at weddings. Lovely next to the bridal eggshell or white gown. Curiously, four for four of the wedding I know of over a six month span will have this color scheme.

Now I am curious.

What will the rage in wedding colors be by this time next year?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: